The Institute for Fundamental Physics of the Universe supports and hosts the activity of small groups developing or finalizing a project dedicated to the investigation of the fundamental laws of Nature, as emerging from Cosmological and Astrophysical observations. The focus is on theoretical and phenomenological studies, with connection to the experimental and observational programs in the field. Priority will be given to research projects in the areas of:
- Astroparticle Physics;
- Astrophysical Probes of Fundamental Interactions;
- Early Universe;
- Gravitational Wave Astrophysics;
- Structures in the Universe;
- Theory and Phenomenology of Gravity;
and preference in particular among those already actively pursued by affiliated members of the Institute.
Programs will be selected by IFPU Governing Council on the bases of their scientific rigour, innovativeness and timeliness.
Each team is usually composed of two to five members, with at least half of the members not being affiliated to the Institute, and each program usually lasts one to two weeks.
The Institute provides logistic support, including an office desk space for each participant and access to the other Institute facilities, and financial support via a contribution to local expenses (accommodation at the nearby guesthouses of the Abdus Salam International Center for Theoretical Physics, and a per diem covering meals). Travel expenses can be totally or partially covered under exceptional circumstances.
The call for programs planned up to December 31, 2019 is now open, with proposals to be submitted at the earliest convenience, and results of the reviewing process communicated at a very short notice.
Proposals should be sent by e-mail to the IFPU director Piero Ullio and specify:
- Title of the proposal;
- Name and email address of the members of the team;
- Name of a local scientific host among IFPU affiliates, supporting the local organization;
- Abstract of the proposal;
- Scientific motivations and description of the team activity (about 1 pages);
- Duration, preferred period and preferred starting date for the program.